Meet The Doula Night
The Lansing Doula Network will host a Meet the Doula event once a quarter over the year. During this event, you will be able to learn about doulas, ask your questions, and meet doulas who serve the Greater Lansing Area!
Come to one of these FREE events:
Monday, October 20, 2014 @ 6PM
Saturday, January 17, 2015 @ 10AM
Monday, ,April 27, 2015 @ 6PM
Unless otherwise noted, events will be held at:
3333 S. Pennsylvania Ave Ste 101 Lansing, MI 48910
Questions to Ask a Doula
The following questions will help you decide if a particular doula is right for you.
For any doula
- What training have you had? Do you choose to be certified? Why or why not? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)
- Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available? May we meet her/them?
- What is your fee, what does it include and what are your refund policies?
- Do you have any references?
When interviewing a birth doula
- Tell me about your experience as a birth doula. How many births have you attended?
- Are you familiar with my caregiver/hospital/birth center? What do you perceive is your role in relationship to the rest of my birth team?
- What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women and their partners through labor?
- How much time do you spend with your client before/during/after birth? May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me through birth? May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth? Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?
- When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
- How many clients do you take at one time? Do you have anyone else due around the same time as me?
- What is your scope of practice? What do you DO and what do you NOT DO as a doula?
- What coping techniques do you find helpful in labor? How do you feel about the use of pain medication?
- Why did you decide to be a doula?
When interviewing a postpartum doula
- Tell me about your experience as a postpartum doula.
- What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
- May we meet to discuss our postpartum needs and the role you will play in supporting us in the postpartum period?
- May we call you with postpartum questions or concerns before the birth?
- When do your services begin after birth?
- What is your experience in breastfeeding support?
- Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test and current CPR certification?
After Interviewing Your Doula
After meeting with your doula, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I feel comfortable around this person?
- Is she warm, knowledgeable and enthusiastic?
- Does she communicate and listen well?
- Will she support my choices?
Finding a Free or Reduced Fee Doula
If you think you might qualify for a free or reduced fee doula, please contact the Willow Tree Family Center to find out about any current scholarships or funding opportunities.
You can also seek free or reduced fee doulas at doulascare.org